Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"I, loner" or "I don't need you"

I've always preferred the company of myself or a choice few personal friends. Whenever I mention going out to do something entertaining with only myself, people always look at me as if I have horns and 3 heads.

When did we become so goddamned dependent? Why is it weird to go out in public with no more than the company of your own thoughts? When I used to go clubbing more often, there was a certain circle of people that no matter what the night, you could always count on them being there. Being friends with all of them, it made no sense to call them up beforehand and make any kind of plans to meet up somewhere we both knew we'd wind up anyhow, yet people would always look at me strange for not doing so. I mean fuck, you're gonna be there, I'm gonna be there...see ya there.

Whoever said that drinking by yourself is a sign of alcoholism does not recognize the value of enjoying a few beers and people-watching. I've met a lot of cool people that I still keep in touch with today, just by being the guy sitting by himself with his eyes open, occasionally throwing a few humorous or well-intentioned-but-sarcastically humorous comments into a nearby conversation. On St. Patty's day, I decided to go to the Roanoke by myself, bought a round of car-bombs for myself and a couple sitting next to me and wound up bs'ing with them all night. Good times.

No comments: